Rebecca Shambaugh launched her 3rd book, Make Room for Her: Why Companies Need an Integrated Leadership Model to Achieve Extraordinary Results at The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts | Washington DC on January 29, 2013.
I had the pleasure of meeting Rebecca when I took her portrait for her book cover. She asked me to photograph her book launch event at the Kennedy Center. Rebecca makes the point that women bring different perspectives, feelings, and experiences that are unique to women and that add value to almost any business discussion. Corporations that do not take advantage of these unique traits are doing themselves a disfavour. Given that I have worked with women my entire career, and I live with four women, I couldn't agree more.
Rebecca spoke on the Integrated Leadership Model and why it's essential for today's organizations and their leaders. She maintains that while current leadership models aren't necessarily "broken," they won't drive success in today's challenging and competitive global marketplace.
The event included a musical performance by the National Symphony Orchestra's Youth Fellows as well as the following distinguished guest speakers:
- Kathleen Matthews, Executive Vice President of Global Communications and Public Affairs, Marriott International
- Bill Richardson, Executive Vice President of Global Business Development, PPD
- Dottie Brienza, Chief Diversity Officer and Head of Talent Development, Merck
- Anne Altman, General Manager, Global Public Sector, IBM
- Dr. Christine Dingivan, Chief Medical Officer, PPD